Saturday, June 30, 2007

organize your closet - pants and skirts

the first step towards a more organized wardrobe is with an organized closet. when your closet has some organization you'll be able to find that putting together outfits are suddenly easier.
the next step is pants and skirts. if you are like most women you only wear 20% of the clothing in your closet. it's true! most women have full closets with nothing to wear. what about the other 80%? it's just taking up space, collecting dust. if you don't love it and your no longer wear it -- it has to go!

when you only have clothes in your closet that you wear regularly you will have a lot more room and less stress. you might be afraid of letting them go, but let me assure you that by letting go of clothing that you are not wearing will show you what you *are* wearing and it will help you see what you are missing from your wardrobe!

examine each and every pant and skirt you own and stand in front of a full length mirror and ask youreslf: is it worn out, stained, out of style or too small/big? when was the last time i wore this? toss the pants and skirts that no longer fill your needs into 3 different piles:

1. give-away. (these are still in good condition that you haven't worn for a long time -- probably a year or more) if you don't like it and don't wear it -- there is no sense in keeping it. the real question is WHY? ask yourself these questions as you examine the pants and skirts that you no longer wear:

- does it fit well? if it's too small it should be given away, if it is too big and you don't like it enough to have it altered it should be given away.
- does it look good on you? don't feel guilty about not wearing something that is not right for you. pass it along to someone who will wear it.
- it was on sale and it seemed like a good deal. but you don't like the color, style, fit, etc. and it doesn't make you feel pretty -- refer to above, don't feel guilty.

2. trash. ask yourself: "would i purchase this at the thirft store?" if the answer is "no" then toss it in the trash.

- is it too worn? yes, if it has pilled or faded in color. yes, if the buttons are missing and the stitching is coming undone.
- is it stained and dirty?

3. alterations. (these are pants and skirts that you would wear with some minor alterations)

- buttons are about to come loose, or already have.
- minor holes that need to be repaired.
- hemlines that are too short or too long.

- wearing pants too short will make you look heavier. lengthen your leg length and slim your silhouette by getting the right pant length. pants should break on your foot -- or slightly crease over the top. wear your shoes you would wear with your pants to get the correct length.

- for skirts the most universally flattering length is at or just below the knee. long skirts have a tendency to make women look more matronly and short skirts ... well?

now we need to organize the pants and skirts that are left. you'll want to sort by putting all the pants together and all the skirts together and then arrange by color (for example: white, cream, brown, black, grey, purple, pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue). sorting by color will show you that you have too many black pants, so there is no need to buy more.

as you start to organize your closet take a look at your hangers. trash the wire hangers and replace with plastic tubular hangers.

having an organized closet will make getting dressed easier and finding new wearable combinations easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment